Sunday, May 18, 2014

Welcome Inez Kelley!

Congratulations on your new book release! I've read your work before, so I'm sure this one will be good. Let's have a blurb:

-->
Book blurb:
In the battle between good and evil, humans have never been more than collateral damage. Now they are prey. Mankind doesn’t need a hero. It needs a sinner.
Corrupt. Wicked. Nefarious. Contemptible....
The Baddest Boys in History are back!
-->
You read about them in school. Now learn the truth. Real men. No vampires, no werewolves, no bullshit. Just down and dirty raw power —sin to sin, evil to evil, bad to bad. They fight for humanity. It was that or eternal damnation.
They agreed to risk their souls. No one told them they would lose their hearts.
THE BASTARD
 Vike died in blood, in battle, in betrayal. His ruthlessness was second only to his brutality. Now one woman makes his blood sing and he’ll stop at nothing to save her. He only has to face half of Hell to do it.
Lacy is unknowingly descended from an ancient Holy line. Someone is slowly destroying her life and wants her dead. A fierce Viking comes to her rescue, and in his arms, she finds more than safety. 
If Vike can’t protect Lacy, he’ll have to kill her. And for a bastard, what’s one woman worth when the entire world is in jeopardy?
And how about a little about you?

-->
INEZ KELLEY was born and bred in the mountains of West Virginia. She currently resides there with her lumberjack husband, their teenage drama queen, Spawnetta, and the Demolition Duo – Damien and his twin, the Omen.

-->
When did you start writing?
I wrote my first ‘story” at age 11 (over 100 pages handwritten on notebook paper front and back pages) and have never stopped. I did take a break in college but still wrote 2 full ‘stories’ over several hundred pages each. I never did anything with them but never threw them away.
Once my twins were born and made it through those first OMG-I-need-sleep-so-bad-I-can’t-think months were over, I started writing again and my husband asked me why I never did anything with them. I told him I wasn’t good enough. He got quiet and asked me if that was the lesson I wanted my kids to learn.
Of course it wasn’t so I took a deep breath, sent one story to a publisher and BOOM, sold it. I haven’t stopped since.
That's good! What is your favorite genre to read?
I read almost everything. I love contemporary romance paranormal romance, medieval romance, murder mysteries, police procedurals, mainstream fiction, women’s fiction and so much more. (I don’t like Regencies *ducks*)
How do you research for your stories?
Constantly. Extensively. I can and have research topics for YEARS before writing a story. I, of course, use the internet to research but I still utilize libraries and old hard bound text books. I interview people and tour certain locations, whatever I have to do to find out s much as I possibly can about a topic. I estimate only 30% of what I learn actually makes it onto the page but I know it. That is all that matters.
What inspires you?
Anything, really. A book can be inspired by a song, a conversation or even a passing thought. Inspiration is easy. Giving the inspiration life takes more. I have two folders. One named IDEAS and one named WILL DO.  I jot each idea in the folder then let it fester. If it festers too much, it grows bones and skin, a voice and takes on a life in my head. Then I move it over to the “WILL DO”. It will then one day become a story. An ‘idea’ can move to the ‘will do’ but never the other way. Not counting the other five books in my next series, I have SIX fully formed story ideas in the WILL DO folder. They will be written. 
What is your next book about?
Good verses evil with a twist. What makes GOOD good? What makes EVIL evil? Why was Moses celebrated when he killed thousands? Why was Vlad the Impaler condemned when he had the Pope’s blessing? I started thinking about that question and my Baddest Boys in History was born. 
Villains were always more interesting and exciting than heroes. So I researched some of the most vile and hated men in history and the story exploded in my head. I didn’t want to rewrite history. That took the fun out of it. I wanted to take these historical bad-asses and explore why they were bad and what would happen if they were made to fight for the good’ side. And of course, what would happen when they fell in love.
Who is badder than a Viking? Not many, I can tell you that. They were ruthless, barbaric and violent. And did you SEE the guys from Norway this past Olympics? HAWT DAYUM, eye candy! I wondered what if I took the biggest baddest Viking of them all and exploited his known weakness by pairing him with a sweet, gentle woman. The story basically wrote itself after that.
That sounds intriguing. What do you do for fun?
Fun? I have a teenage daughter and twin 10-yr-old boys. Who has time for fun? Read. And write. I also love to bake. Plus I love Criminal Minds so I watch those episodes over and over.
Do you have any insights for your fans?
My best selling book so far, and the one that has seemed to touch the most readers, was SWEET AS SIN. I had this feeling when writing it, a feeling of reaching beyond my skills and pushing myself but I could stop the words from pouring out just how I heard them. It wasn’t always nice or pretty or easy but I listened to that little voice. And damn, did it work! I felt that same way about this next series. It just FEELS right. *fingers crossed*
And hey, if you want, come give a “LIKE” to my Baddest Boys in History Facebook page and see what all my characters look like in my head.
I'll do that. How about advice for aspiring writers?
Write the damn book. Stop procrastinating. Do it. Then walk away. Wait a month. Then edit the hell out of it. Then send it to two different people, one who loves you and one who is harsh. Listen to both of them. Get as much feedback as you can from those higher on the publishing food chain than you. It might hurt but if you learn and apply what they tell you, you will grow. Edit again. Wait a month. Edit AGAIN. Now you are ready to submit the story somewhere.
That is very helpful advice for authors! Thank you.


Signup for Inez’snewsletter to get sneak peeks and contest entries. You can visit her at her website http://inezkelley.com/http://inezkelley.com/  Follow Inez on twitter at @Inez_Kelley or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/inez.kelley
Thanks for being my guest, and good luck! 

No comments :