Thursday, April 5, 2012

Books around the world: Chile

Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende is a passionate novel set in Spain, Peru, and Chile of the sixteenth century. This is historical fiction based on fact, and is both educational and romantic. It reads like an adventure novel, but the characters were real people.

Inés Suárez and Pedro de Valdivia were Spanish conquistadors who struggled to build the country of Chile. Danger surrounded them at every turn, and horrible hardships.

This book gives a fascinating look at life in the 1500s in Chile and is from Inés’ perspective, including her fiery romance with and later betrayal by Valdivia; though it also presents the viewpoint of the other side, the indigenous people who fight with all their heart against the foreign invaders.

The characters are vivid, as is the plot, rich in historical detail and feeling. Such heroic bravery is colorfully drawn.

Tragic at times, victorious at others, it’s a moving novel. I learned a lot reading it and would search out this author’s other work.

2 comments :

Gregory S. Slomba said...

Laura, thanks for following my blog. I'm now following yours. I love history--and historical fiction in particular! You've got a great blog!--Greg

http://thedelivererssharkeyandthejewel.blogspot.com

Sel said...

I love historical fiction, and this sure sounds moving! I like your review style. You have me convinced, this rich classic can't be missed!