Thursday, February 3, 2011

Visualizing and making changes

Here is an interesting quote by William James (1842-1910)
"There is a law in psychology that if you form a picture in your mind of what you would like to be, and you keep and hold that picture there long enough you will soon become exactly as you have been thinking."

What do you think about this? It makes a lot of sense to me. On a physical level, they say, "You are what you eat," right?

Well, your thoughts have a lot to do with the surroundings you find yourself in. Some would say it's the opposite, and in certain cases it is. But due to free will and the choices we make, our lives take on a specific shape. The above quote, besides coming across as psychologically sound to me also feels accurate in the mystical sense, that law of attraction thing. I've often noted that people of different faiths, with different backgrounds and living in different eras and cultures say exactly the same thing but with unique words.

Visualizing is a strong tool and worth the practice to master. It's never too late to make your life better and that of people around you. I'm still working on it myself.

2 comments :

Sheila Deeth said...

My sons are too practical and I can imagine them answering "Do you think you could be queen of England just 'cause you visualized it?" But could I be a successful writer? That's what I want to know.

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Lol, Sheila, I see what you mean. But so much of our lives are dependent on what we think, our approach and attitude. I do believe you could be a very successful writer.