Monday, June 28, 2010

Please welcome author Caroline Clemmons



Hello, and welcome to my blog, Caroline. Please tell us a little about you.

Caroline:

As long as I can remember, I've made up adventures. Okay, I admit the early creative stories featured me riding the range with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and saving the West. What a disappointment to learn that Roy was exclusively committed to Dale! Eventually, my best friend from across the street and I decided to become better detectives than Nancy Drew. We drove our parents and neighbors crazy sticking our pert little noses where they didn't belong. About that time I started writing down my adventures, but mostly I was a reader. Not until I read Nora Roberts' early novels did I decide to create my own romance manuscripts. My road to publishing was a lot slower than Nora's was. No surprise there! I still read Nora's books—as well as those of countless other authors—but now I write full time. Unless life interferes, that is.

My Hero and I live one a small acreage in the ranching and horse country of North Central Texas. Our two daughters are grown, and supportive of my writing. Living with Hero and me now are Webster, our sweet black Shih Tzu, and our two shorthaired cats: Sebastian, a black and white tuxedo who thinks he's our watchcat; and Bailey Erin, a shy apricot tabby. When I'm not writing, I love spending time with family, reading, traveling with Hero, browsing antique malls, and digging into family history and genealogy. I also love garage and estate sales, but have to ration myself—we only have so much room and I think we've filled our home until the walls are bulging. Writing about strong heroes and heroines who overcome amazing obstacles to forge a meaningful life together is my passion. I hope you'll share my stories with me.

Very interesting. It sounds like you've got your hands full with plenty of great things, and your writing sounds like something many people could relate to and enjoy. Now please give us a taste of your book Out of the Blue.

Blurb:

Deirdre Dougherty never cursed at anyone, much less put a curse on the potato crop of her remote Irish village. She’d rather take her chances with the Atlantic lapping at the bottom of the cliff than the mob intent on burning her as they have her cottage. Deirdre leaps . . . and plops down over 160 years later in a Texas lake. She doesn’t understand how she’s ended up with the man from her recent visions or why he has the same name as the saint to whom she prayed. She’s in danger of falling for the handsome policeman who rescued her, in spite of the fact that he thinks she’s lying to him. How can she convince him her story is true when she’s finding it difficult to believe the tale herself?

Police Detective Brendan Hunter wants answers. Who shot him and killed his partner? Why? And why does Deirdre know details of the event? Her story has to be a colossal fabrication or else she’s a beautiful psycho. Either way, he wants her gone before he becomes even more fascinated with her. But he can’t let her out of his sight until she confesses to how she learned details no one but he and his late partner knew.

Thank you, and now an excerpt. :)
Standing at the cliff’s edge, Deirdre trembled and fought the terror washing through her. Something horrible was wrong. “Everything is different. Are you sure your boat was below here? Mayhap it was another cliff.”
His hands firm and insistent, Brendan pointed. “See those kids playing across there, near that dock? That’s the Boy Scout camp at Johnson Bend. Look to your right on this side of the shore, there’s Mom’s house at that point of land. Do you recognize it and my boat tied up at the dock?”
She took a deep breath and tried to speak. Her heart pounded in her ears. How could everything have changed?
Her words, when she found her voice, rasped out in a hoarse whisper “Yes, I . . . I see . . . the house.”
Merciful heaven, what had happened? Her legs threatened to give way again and she gripped Blossom’s arm for support. “Is the land we’re standing on Hell’s Gate?”
Behind them, Jim answered, “Been called that for over a-hundred-and-fifty years, ever since Comanche Indians caught those two trappers here.”
Talk of Indians and trappers made her head whirl more. She needed to sit down but she turned slowly again and searched for anything familiar. “D-Do you know which way Ballymish is from here?”
The sheriff’s man frowned. “Never heard of it.”

Nice. To purchase Out of the Blue, click here

I love your covers. Out of the Blue is available now, and The Texan's Irish Bride is coming out on September 3.

Well, I enjoyed having you here at my blog. Good luck with your writing!

10 comments :

Caroline Clemmons said...

Thanks so much for having me today.

liana laverentz said...

Hi, Caroline,

I think I followed the same path you did...Roy Rogers, Nancy Drew, Nora Roberts. Glad to see you followed your dream. What beautiful covers you have. Here's wishing you many happy sales!

Liana Laverentz
www.lianalaverentz.com

P.L. Parker said...

Yup, been there. Loved Roy Rogers. Congratulations and much success.

Celia Yeary said...

CAROLINE-first, your cover is absolutely outstanding! I know you have to have a good artist to get that, and you do with those at Wild Rose--but, really, it made me emotional some way. Just beautiful. The story line is very intriguing, as is all yours stories. I am impressed! congratulations and here's hoping for many sales--your "cousin"--Celia

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Thanks for dropping by, everyone!

Susan Macatee said...

Hi, Caroline! The cover for you upcoming release is beautiful! But so is the one for Out Of the Blue! I already have my copy of that one and can't wait to sit down and read it.

Best of luck with both the current and upcoming releases!!!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Thanks so much for your comments. Nicola Martinez designed the covers and I love them. THE TEXAN'S IRISH BRIDE cover shows up better online, but the one for OUT OF THE BLUE is perfect for the story. She used all the details I suggested. I've noticed The Wild Rose Press covers are all great, so I suppose all their artists do a nice job.

Glad I'm not the only one who followed Roy Rogers and Nancy Drew. LOL

LORETTA CANTON said...

I'm reading this book now and I'm enjoying it.

lorettaC

Leigh D'Ansey said...

What a fabulous cover and an intruiging story. Best wishes for heaps of sales!

Paty Jager said...

It's fun to learn more about you Caroline!