Saturday, August 1, 2009

Please welcome author Skhye Moncrief

Hello, Skhye, and thank you for agreeing to do the interview. First, could you introduce yourself and talk about your work? What time-travel fiction have you written or are in the process of writing?

Hi, Laura. Thank you for inviting me over. My Time Guardian series is about two sects from the future who intermarry in order to travel through time and safeguard history--one sect sports kilts, the other Druid robes. I'm kind of geeky scientific in that I'm formally educated in geology and bioarchaeology. So, I had to set up a series that allowed me to write about when and wherever I felt like writing. So, my series spans the time from the first monolith's erection to whenever the future may land a tale. My available titles include a medieval Irish setting, a medieval Cumberland setting, a futuristic on earth, a futuristic offworld, and many set in present day Scotland. I should add that often the characters begin in one time period, travel to another, but end up in a third--and I'm told I handle the transitions well. The series is based on what appears to be Celtic legend but often brings in gods from other mythologies. What else would an evil anthropologist do? My King Arthur is a time-traveling shape-shifting dragon...

What are your favorite time destinations and why? My anthropological specialization in bioarchaeology should answer this question: I live in the past. :) I like everything from early hominids forward. And since I have this strange fascination with natural and cultural ecology, I like all settings including speculation of the future. So, let's just say the sky's the limit with my scrawlings. :)

Where is your work available? My titles are at http://thewildrosepress.com as well as http://amazon.com, http://borders.com, and http://bn.com.

What got you interested in the genre? For how long have you been a fan, and who are your favorite authors of time-travel fiction? Karen M. Moning was someone whose work fascinated me when I first began writing. But I really did live in the past long before writing romance, i.e. reading historical romances and works like The Clan of the Cave Bear. Add in my fascination with Star Trek since it first aired when I was a young child and my formal education, and, voila, writing time travel romance just seemed natural.

What mechanisms do you use for time-travel? Do they vary from story to story? In my series, the Orders use runes, astro-folklore, post-Modern alchemy, and sacred marriage while hoping the fairies kick in the rest of what's needed to travel across time and space. The male members have a time-travel key, i.e. fairy-forged sword. Yes, it's a very complicated system, mechanically. But I try to reveal a different aspect of time travel in each tale.

What type of research do you do for the genre? Where do you find your sources? Since I am known as the geeky blogger who blogs about reference books, let's just say I use books I've collected from geology & anthropology courses, as well as researching to crack the great mystery of numerology/astrology/Tarot/etc (to understand how people in the past thought). Literature courses are my friend. And I am always on the hunt for another great bargain at library sales, thrift stores, used-book stores, and bargain bins. Half.com is a godsend...

Everyone is invited to stop by http://blog.skhyemoncrief.com to sift through my back log of Reference Book posts. And where would I be if the History Channel didn't air The History of Concrete? Okay, I admit I know who invented it... But it's a great documentary, nonetheless.

Is there anything else you’d like to add? Thank you, Laura! And remember Ghandi's words: "Be the change you want to see in the world." I believe that's my motto when writing. ;) ~Skhye

Again, thank you so much for your input. Good luck with your writing!
-laura h.
"Arthur is a masterpiece..." 4 hearts for He of the Fiery Sword's King Arthur ~Diane Mason; The Romance Studio

“The Spell of the Killing Moon offers the best of spine-tingling suspense. The setting is perfect... Moncrief’s ability to wield magic and emotion are without compare. Her words twist together emotions and visuals until you experience this tale as if the trap were set for you. Some lines blend a kind of poetic magic: “Moonlight wove a special kind of magic, a spell so vacillating that a person never knew if reality were anything other than a dream.” Darkness and premonitions and deadly intent fill these pages... a unique blend of mystic Medieval Gothic and romance…and a true blood-curdling thriller. 5 books" ~Snapdragon, LASR

"Intense, original, suspenseful, and dramatic... an unpredictable topsy-turvy romance... the suspense builds with every page in SACRIFICIAL HEARTS. In a world where symbols mean everything, magic is the way..." ~Snapdragon; LASR

HE OF THE FIERY SWORD available at www.thewildrosepress.com
www.timeguardians.com
www.skhyemoncrief.com
"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Ghandi

20 comments :

Laurean Brooks said...

Great interview, Skhye and Laura.

Skhye, I'm fascinated by how much you know about your subject and the amount of research it takes. You've got more patience than I have, girlfriend.

I was a Star Trek fan, too. My sister was crazy about Spock. She used to quote him. "I'm Vulcan. Vulcan's do not possess emotions. Only Humans have emotions."

Great going and good luck with all your writings. It's a God-given talent you have there.

Skhye said...

Hi, Laurean. It's not patience. It's more like an obsession with culture and science. :) LOL about your sister! I loved Spock and then Dargo on FARSCAPE. I think they have a lot in common. ;)

Kathye Quick said...

Great interview Skhye. I would love to go back to ancient Egypt, but only if I could be queen, or ancient greece providing I was a goddess.

I did a histroical romance about ancient Greece before it was popular to do so and had a hard time selling it. Finally did to Wings E-Press, I wish WRP was around back then,

Your work sounds facsinating. I'm a fan.

Mary Ricksen said...

I loved Karen Moning's books, Diana Gabaldon, Flora Speer, Lynn Kurland, there are so many of them.
But they all inspired me to write Time Travel stories.
Skhye you have done so well and your books have all flourished because of your wonderful muse. I wish you the very best and I hope you continue to put out such fantastic stories.

Susan Macatee said...

Sounds cool, Skhye!! I'm a Star Trek geek from way back and I think of lot of that show influenced the way I write today.

Time travel in fiction has always fascintated me and ignited my imagination.

Skhye said...

Thanks, Kathye. I know what you mean about hard sell. LOL. My Time Guardians are so cross-genre that I can't see straight... But, they found a home--after a long time like your Greek piece.

Skhye said...

Mary, I loved the Scotsmen in Galbadon's Outlander series. :) I have one of Kurland's books. I guess I need to read it!!! And you know you're the one with the wonderful muse!!!

Skhye said...

Isn't it true that Star Trek shaped a generation, Susan? Talk about molding a perspective! Gen-X was so fortunate. ;)

Skhye said...

CONTEST ALERT!
I thought it high time I gave away a box of WICKED mints I picked up at Walt Disney World in the spring. So, I'll be picking one lucky person who comments on my interview here on Tuesday, Aug. 4th. So don't be shy!

Sharon M said...

As a history buff and past and I guess forever history major, thank you for detailing how you interweve your research with what you love and come up with your books. Thanks for sharing and enlightning.

Mitzi said...

Star Trek shaped my daughter. I worked evenings as a nurse and her dad would put her in front of the TV to watch Star Trek (the original). It was years before she realized that she didn't have an Uncle Bill (Shatner). ;-)
I love Time Travels - writing and reading. One of my WIP is a TT to Arthurian England. I would go ONLY if I knew I could return. I like toilets and showers too much.

Skhye said...

Hi, Sharon. Once a student, always a student because what you study is supposed to be what you love. ;) Although, more often than not I run into more students majoring in a field to make a buck... I was the weird student who loved what I studied!!!

Mitzi, I'd want to return to deodorant too! Gen-X loves Uncle Bill! His commercials these days are a hoot. :) That sounds like an interesting time travel you're working on. Good luck with it!

L.A. Mitchell said...

Skhye,
It's so great to read about new time travel stories. Maybe we can bring a resurgence in popularity. I wish you all the best with your fascinating series :)

Skhye said...

Thanks, L.A.

SiNn said...

awesome interview Skhye and Laura

I have to say u have an awesome obsession and more patience with it then i ever would your work is awesome so ty for that keep up the good work

SiNn said...

awesome interview Skhye and Laura

I have to say u have an awesome obsession and more patience with it then i ever would your work is awesome so ty for that keep up the good work

Skhye said...

Thanks, SiNn.

Skhye said...

Congrats, Mary! You won the WICKED mints. Are you a Leo? August looks like your month! Shoot me an email so I can get your mints to you. Thanks to everyone for stopping by! And thanks for having me here, Laura.

J.A. Saare said...

Wonderful interview you two! I"m sorry I'm so slow in dropping in to visit!

Mary Ricksen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.