Saturday, July 4, 2009

Please welcome author Bess McBride


I'm happy to welcome author Bess McBride to my blog. Thanks, Bess, for the interview.
First, could you introduce yourself and talk about your work? What
time-travel fiction have you written or are in the process of writing?
What are your favorite time destinations and why?

I love the late Victorian/early Georgian era here in the United States. I
suppose it comes from watching the beautiful Jane Seymour in her fabulous
hats on the shores of a beautiful Lake Huron in "Somewhere in Time." If I could make
readers feel the way I felt (and still do) about that movie... Sigh. I'd
feel like I'd done my job...entertaining.

Where is your work available?

All of my books are published with The Wild Rose Press at
http://thewildrosepress.com and are available at the website and all major
online bookstores such as Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc.

What got you interested in the genre? For how long have you been a fan,
and who are your favorite authors of time-travel fiction?

I read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court in high school a long,
long time ago and loved the concept. Later, I fell in love with the movie
"Somewhere in Time." Then I found "A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude
Devereaux, and I was hooked. It's still one of my favorite books. And I've
just finally read the fabulous Diana Gabaldon and Lynn Kurland. I've been a
fan of time travel as long as I can remember. I loved "The Time Machine"
and "Planet of the Apes" though I'm not as much a fan of travel to the
future as I am of travel to the past.

What mechanisms do you use for time-travel? Do they vary from story to
story?


I've only written one time travel so far, A Train Through Time, though my
first novel, Love of My Heart, certainly involved some elements of past and
present in an old Victorian house. Those houses hold so much fascination
for me, and I wonder about the building, the pride of ownership, the lives
of the people who lived in them. My mechanism of "travel" in A Train
Through Time was through dreams, although it's not really clear until the
end whether my heroine was dreaming or actually traveling through time. I
have several other time travels in the works where the hero is brought
forward through time, and I do not use dreams in those, but neither do I use
some "mechanism" such as a talisman or amulet. I like to think that "love"
is a strong enough bond to help people travel through time.


What type of research do you do for the genre? Where do you find your
sources?


I use the Internet for the most part, often scanning old photos of the
houses, cities, people and clothing of the era if photos are available. I
did pop into a university library for some research on train photos for "A
Train Through Time." There are so many great historical sites available on
the Internet created by very generous people who've done a lot of research
themselves.


Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Thanks for giving me a chance to talk about time travels, Lara. I love them
and can't get enough!

Thanks for being here. :)

5 comments :

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Bess,
Nice to read about your exploits.
Best wishes
Margaret

Mary Ricksen said...

I so can connect with every thing you said in this blog. I was amazed at just how close to my trip to getting hooked on time travel is to yours. I'll never forget the move Somewhere In Time. But it was Linda Lael Miller's Here and Then and There an Now that did it for me.

Susan Macatee said...

Great interview, Bess! I loved A Train Through Time!! I've always been a big fan of time travel too. Just the idea of a modern-day person going into the past always fascinated me.

And your blog looks great, Laura!

Historical Writer/Editor said...

That movie, Somewhere In Time was memorable. Thanks again, Bess, for the interview, and thank you, ladies for dropping by my blog. -Laura

P.L. Parker said...

I love this blog! Time travel is a so compelling. Good interview Bess and, Laura, keep bringing in those time travelers. I love it.

Patsy