Sunday, June 21, 2009

Please welcome author Linda LaRoque




I'm happy to have a friend, and fellow author here today. Please welcome Linda LaRoque.



First, could you introduce yourself and talk about your work? What time-travel fiction have you written or are in the process of writing?


I'M A NATIVE TEXAN AND HAVE LIVED OUTSIDE THE STATE FOR ONLY SHORT PERIODS OF TIME. MY FATHER WAS IN THE AIR FORCE AND FOR TWO YEARS WE LIVED IN NEWFOUNDLAND. WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED FROM VIET NAM IN 1968, WE LIVED IN ABERDEEN, MD FOR NINE MONTHS. I SPENT 30 YEARS TEACHING PUBLIC SCHOOL, STARTED WRITING IN 1992, AND RETIRED IN 2001. IT'S BEEN WONDERFUL BEING ABLE TO WRITE FULL TIME.
MY FIRST TWO NOVELS WERE WESTERN CONTEMPORARIES. A TIME TRAVEL IDEA POPPED INTO MY HEAD AND MY HEART WILL FIND YOURS WAS BORN. I HAD SO MUCH FUN WRITING IT I DECIDED TO WRITE ANOTHER AND THEN TWO TIME TRAVEL SHORT STORIES. AT PRESENT, I'M WORKING ON A TIME TRAVEL SET IN THE 1930S AND A FUTURISTIC STORY.

What are your favorite time destinations and why?


I PREFER THE NINETEENTH CENTURY OLD WEST AND EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURY MIDDLE AMERICA BECAUSE SO MUCH HAPPENED IN THESE TIME PERIODS AND AREAS THAT INTERESTS ME. THERE IS SO MUCH HISTORY TO CHOSE FROM. I IMAGINE I'LL VENTURE INTO OTHER TIME PERIODS BEFORE TOO LONG.



Where is your work available?


IT'S AVAILABLE AT WWW.CHAMPAGNEBOOKS.COM/, WWW.THEWILDROSEPRESS.COM/, WWW.AMAZON.COM/, AND WWW.BARNESANDNOBLE.COM/.



What got you interested in the genre?


CONSTANCE O'DAY FLANNERY'S, A TIME FOR LOVE, WAS THE FIRST TIME TRAVEL THAT I REMEMBER READING. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN, YET POIGNANT.




For how long have you been a fan, and who are your favorite authors of time-travel fiction? I GUESS I REALLY BECAME A FAN WHEN I READ DIANA GABALDON'S OUTLANDER SERIES.



What mechanisms do you use for time-travel?


I LIKE TO USE EARTH'S NATURAL PHENOMENON IF POSSIBLE COMBINED WITH OTHER ELEMENTS.




Do they vary from story to story? SOMEWHAT.



What type of research do you do for the genre?


AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ON THE TIME PERIOD--SPEECH, MANNERISMS, CLOTHING, TRAVEL, ETC. AND THE TIME TRAVEL MECHANISMS I PLAN TO USE.




Where do you find your sources? MOSTLY ON THE INTERNET PLUS I'VE BOUGHT SEVERAL BOOKS THAT ARE USEFUL SOURCES.



Is there anything else you'd like to add?


I'D LIKE TO SHARE THE COVER OF MY HEART WILL FIND YOURS, THE FIRST TIME TRAVEL IN THE TURQUOISE LEGACY. IT'S OUT NOW WITH THE WILD ROSE PRESS AND IS AVAILABLE IN BOTH EBOOK AND
PRINT FORMATS. THE SECOND BOOK OF THE LEGACY, FLAMES ON THE SKY WILL BE
OUT OCTOBER 23, 2009. BLURBS AND EXCERPTS CAN BE FOUND ON MY WEBSITE AT
http://www.lindalaroque.com/.



THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME ON YOUR BLOG TODAY, LAURA.


Thank you, Linda!

9 comments :

Linda LaRoque said...

It's great to be here, Laura. You have a beautiful blog. Thanks, my friend, for having me as a guest.

Linda

Susan Macatee said...

Beautiful covers, Linda! Good luck with your stories!!

Linda LaRoque said...

I love them, Susan. Kim Mendoza did them both. She does great work!Thanks for stopping by.

J.A. Saare said...

Good luck with your stories, Linda! And thank you, Laura, for hosting these wonderful interviews!

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Linda -- Outlander is one of my favorite books! I've never written a time travel, but the thought is intriguing. Thanks for sharing -- it was fun to learn more about you and your work!

elaine cantrell said...

Hi, Linda,

I just love time travel, and everything I've read of yours is very well done. Good luck with all of them

Linda LaRoque said...

Thank you for stopping by, J.A.

Linda LaRoque said...

You should give time travels a try, Helen. They're fun!

Linda LaRoque said...

Thank you, Elaine. You're kind to say so.