Saturday, May 9, 2009

Welcome to P.L. Parker


I'm honored to feature a wonderful writer, P.L. (Patsy) Parker today at my blog. Thank you, Patsy.


First, could you introduce yourself and talk about your work?

My Pen Name is P.L. Parker, which is actually my maiden name. My mother is a great country western fan, ergo, Patsy Lynn (named after Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn). I chose P.L. Parker to honor my parents who have been so supportive of me over the years and still are.

I love the paranormal genre and especially time travel. My novels, Fiona, Riley's Journey, Heart of the Sorcerer (due for release in August), and Aimee's Locket (in the edit stages) are all time travel and deal with totally different time periods.

Fiona takes place about 4,000 years ago, and developed after I watched the Discovery Channel regarding the Urumchi Mummies found in the Taklamakan Desert of northern China. One of the mummies in particular was a blonde young woman suspected to be a sacrificial victim. I felt like she needed a happier ending and the more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to write the story.

Riley's Journey takes the reader back 40,000 years to the Ice Age. Prehistoric times have always fascinated me and sending a modern heroine back that far and into the arms of the hero really caught my attention. After receiving so many requests, I am currently working on a sequel to Riley's Journey.

Heart of the Sorcerer is a short story, also time travel, and the time the heroine, Annalisa, is sent back to is the late 1700's. She is mesmerized by a portrait over the mantle. He calls to her in dreams, demanding she return.

Aimee's Locket takes place in 1847 and the start of the Oregon Trail. Aimee lands in St. Louis, alone and afraid. She struggles to return to Seattle, her home in the present, and the only way she can get there is with the emigrants. Her ticket on the train is the wagon scout, Jake Marshall.

I have just finished a vampire story, Absolution, which I am cleaning up and then will start the rounds of submitting. Sort of a reverse time travel, but I feel good about it.

What are your favorite time destinations and why?

I can't say I have a favorite time destination. I think all have their interesting points. I would like to visit, but not get stuck in any one of them. There are certainly times I wouldn't want to go back to. I would hate to end up a Christian during the Roman Empire, or accused as a witch during the Dark Ages, but would love a quick look see.

Where is your work available?

All my books are published through The Wild Rose Press, http://www.thewildrosepress.com/. Fiona and Riley's Journey are available through most online book stores, http://www.amazon.com/, Fictionwise, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

What got you interested in the genre? For how long have you been a fan, and who are your favorite authors of time-travel fiction?

When I was young, I saw the first The Time Machine movie starring Yvette Mimieux and Rod Taylor. I believe it came out in 1960 so I would have been 9 at the time. It left a lasting impression on me – the idea of time travel. I still think that version of The Time Machine is the best one they ever did and I think it was what drew me to time travel.

As to favorite time travel author, like everything, I don't have a favorite. I read on average two books per week, mostly paranormal, but that could include time travel, vampire stories, shape shifters – whatever catches my attention.


What mechanisms do you use for time-travel? Do they vary from story to story?

Fiona is based on a car wreck and deals with genetic memories. Riley's Journey is a good old time travel machine the heroine gets sent through, thinking she was going on an extended research project. Heart of the Sorcerer, the mechanism is the sorcerer, of course, and his portal, the portrait over the mantle. Aimee's Locket is just what the title says – the locket is the key.

What type of research do you do for the genre? Where do you find your sources?

I research everything. Sometimes I get caught up so much in research, I forget to write. I love the internet but I also usually find two or three good books that deal with the time period I am writing about and I pick up interesting bits and pieces through them. I had a little bit of a buzz when I was writing Aimee's Locket. One of the characters in the story is a 7 year old, red-headed, freckle-faced boy that for some reason I named "Charlie Tuttle." I was doing research, after I had written about Charlie, and came across a manifest for one of the wagon trains and one of the emigrant names listed was "Charles Tuttle." I had a little bit of weirdness about that.

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I began writing in 2006. I was 54 at the time and older than most beginning authors, but life has a funny way of twisting and turning. I finally feel like I am who I was supposed to be, it just took me some time to get here.

Thanks, Lara, for including me.

Patsy
P.L. Parker
www.plparker.com

8 comments :

Susan Macatee said...

Great interview!! I love time travel too, and have read ones set in different time periods, but my own stories are set during the American Civil War.

And I can identify with you in that writing was what I was always meant to do, but it took me a long time getting there.

Best of luck with your time travel stories, Patsy!!

Linda LaRoque said...

Hi Patsy,
Wonderful interview. I loved both Fiona and Riley's Journey. Will check out your new one.
Linda
www.lindalaroque.com

Clover Autrey said...

Very interesting, Patsy. I love how we all approach things differently. And yes, I loved the orginal Time Machine too. I've seen it several times. Always enjoy the premise of it.

Helen Hardt said...

I loved the interview, and I wish you much success!

Helen
www.helensheroes.blogspot.com

P.L. Parker said...

Thanks for your comments. Time travel is a dream, but an interesting one - and who knows if it will always be a dream.

Patsy

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Hello, Patsy, I recently read a non-fiction book written by a physicist who believes that someday, time travel will be a reality. He has spent his life searching for the way. Someone asked him why we have not received visitors from the future. His intriguing answer was this: Because the first "time-machine" has yet to be activated or turned on. Once it is, we will receive those visitors. He also believes that once this machine becomes a scientific reality, we won't be able to go into the past--not beyond the point when it is first turned on, only the future.

The book is called: Time traveler: a scientist's personal mission to make time travel a reality/ Ronald L. Mallett with Bruce Henderson. It's by Ronald L. Mallett.
Interesting book.

Julong said...

Hi,its nice blog.I like its and added your blog and look at your myspace.

Barbara Martin said...

A wonderful interview and certainly interesting comments, especially about the connection with 'Charlie Tuttle'. Someone from the divine is sending you a message, my dear; that you are on the correct path.